Tuesday, August 09, 2005

What I'm Reading

Right now I'm in an urban fantasy kick. I just read Magic Street by Orson Scott Card, about a young man who has the power to make dreams come true (but they always come true with a nasty twist), and now I've gotten hooked on Charles De Lint. Here's his website: http://www.sfsite.com/charlesdelint/

Most of Charles De Lint's books take place in a city called Newford, which somehow has a rift between the "World As It Is" and a magical realm. Right now I'm reading Onion Girl, about an artist who was run over by a car and very badly injured. While in the dreamworld, she's told that she has to heal the hurts inside that remain from a childhood of abuse before she can be healed on the outside. It's a really, really wonderful story. A lot of Charles De Lint's books are written for adults, but he also writes for teens. The most recent of his books written specifically for a young adult audience is The Blue Girl, which YALSA (the Young Adult Library Services Association) voted one of the 2005 Best Books for Young Adults. I loved it, and if you like ghosts, fantasy novels, or punk rock you probably will too.

More later,
Karen

No comments: