Thursday, January 15, 2009

Classic Films With Teen Appeal

I just had a lovely conversation with some teen regulars about great movies, growing up, feeling out of place, etc. It made me quite happy to be working where I work, encountering wonderful people and sharing ideas.

They told me about how much they love movies from the 70s and 80s, and were excited about the recommendations my co-worker Connie and I gave them. They even suggested I blog about some more movies they might like but may not have heard of, so here I am! Your wish is my command.

Here's a list of films dealing with teendom that were very important to teenage Corey and which I hope teenage you will also enjoy. (Be sure to check the links and order your copies from the library today!):

Harold & MaudeHarold and Maude: "I haven't lived. I've died a few times." Connie started the conversation by bringing this film up. I first saw it in the ninth grade; my friends soon began calling me Harold. Harold and Maude is the story of a morbid, depressed, teenager who often fakes his own death and goes to funerals for fun. His outlook on life slowly begins to change when he meets Maude, a vivacious 79 year old woman who teaches Harold how l-i-v-e live live live!

amelie1 Amelie: "At least you'll never be a vegetable — even artichokes have hearts." The title character (an adorable waitress in Montmarte, Paris) is sort of Harold and Maude rolled into one; she's a dreamer and an optimist, but she worries her dreams will never come true, that she will die alone, never realizing the love she hopes to find. "Times are hard for dreamers" she is told, and she knows it to be true. However, things change for Amelie when she decides to become a do-good-er, anonymously bringing people the joy she is afraid to reach out and grab for herself. Amelieis whimsical, romantic, sadly sweet and hilarious. It will melt away even the angstiest angst, if only for a little while. Check out the wonderful soundtrack!

rushmoreRushmore: "Sic transit gloria. Glory fades. I'm Max Fischer." The main character of director Wes Anderson's opus is Max Fisher, an overly ambitious fifteen year old playwright who attends Rushmore Academy on scholarship. Max is placed on academic probation when his grades continue to slip. Soon, things spiral out of control when he and his middle aged steel magnate friend, Herman Bloom, both fall for Rushmore's beautiful kindergarten teacher, Ms. Cross. Rushmore is both darkly funny and bittersweet. Check out the AWESOME SOUNDTRACK!

prettyPretty In Pink: "If somebody doesn't believe in me, I can't believe in them." So, I guess this is a bit of a cliche choice, right? I think it's the best of the 80s "brat pack" movies, though. The Breakfast Clubis great and all, but this one strikes more of a chord. You've got Andie (a bit of a misfit but a total sweetheart), Duckie (a pre-lame Jon Cryer who is awesome as the lovelorn best friend, crushing on his pal), and Blane (the wealthy and popular, but nice, guy) in a love-triangle. Andie likes Blane but she feels like she's nothing special; he's cute and popular, so why would he like her? Meanwhile, the duckman suffers. A film about love across class lines. Order the great soundtrack!

poets1The Dead Poet's Society: "No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world." Haven't seen this one in years, but it's a heart-breaker; the story of a class of prep school boys inspired by their new teacher, whose call to arms is more than a little similar to Maude's, "Carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." A film about what's expected of us versus what we want, realizing your own dreams and fighting for them - always a good lesson to learn.

Honorable Mentions go to: Dazed and Confused, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Rebel Without a Cause, American Graffiti, Say Anything, The Virgin Suicides

Corey

CLP - Main, TEEN

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you didn't mention Heathers.

Props for talking about Amelie, though. I am. In love. With that movie (though I've only seen it once.)

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love Harold and Maude. It's my all time favorite movie!

loveandsqualor said...

I was never super into Heathers, though it is quite hilarious. "I love my dead gay son!"